Sunday, October 31, 2010

Bluewinged Teal - Harns Marsh

Blue-winged Teal - a visit to  Harn's Marsh
Saturday,
October 30th

A visit to Harn's Marsh this morning was rewarding with the the return of a number of wintering birds.  Came here specifically to see if any savanna sparrows had arrived yet.  No.  But did find that large numbers of Coots, Blue-winged Teal and Pied-billed Grebes had arrived. Counted about seventy teal, which is a large number for this location.  They probably had just flown-in as they barely stirred from head under wing slumber.  The coots were certainly on hand as I counted over a hundred and I had a count of twenty-two Pied-billed Grebes, which is also a high count. Had a number of Wilson's Snipe take flight from the muddy shore-line and a flock of twenty-two Killdeer were constantly wheeling about, also a large number.

Palm Warblers greeted me as I arrived at the marsh and a lone Yellow-throated Warbler was found.  Soon Yellow-rumped Warblers will be arriving.  Also found were a number of Gray Catbirds and a lone House Wren.

As I was heading back to my car I met up a Canadian birder here looking for Limpkins and Snail Kites .  The kites were very numerous.  I counted about ten and saw several Limpkins today too.

My day List - (25 )
Mottled Duck, Blue-winged Teal, Pied-billed Grebe, Anhinga, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Snowy Egret, Little Blue Heron, Tricolored Heron, Cattle Egret, Green Heron, White Ibis, Glossy Ibis, Snail Kite, Common Moorhen, Eurasian Coot, Limpkin, Killdeer, Wilson's Snipe, Belted Kingfisher, Eastern Phoebe, Gray Catbird, Yellow-throated Warbler, Palm Warbler, Red-winged Blackbird




1 comment:

  1. This site is a must visit for any birder passing through the area any time of year. Glad to see you encountered so many migrant species plus the "locals," Tom. I'm getting motivated for the four hour walk, with the additional time required for an extended warranted observation period.

    ReplyDelete