Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - Crew Marsh

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - Crew Marsh
Saturday, November 6th

Early at sunrise on Saturday morning I headed to the CREW Marsh trailhead, which is located near to where Corkscrew Road intersects with rt-82 in Collier County.  I was interested in locating any white-winged doves that might be found wire-sitting along Corkscrew Road or any eastern towhees that I have usually found near the trailhead at CREW Marsh.
I spent about and hour and a half on several trails and was able to locate four warblers - Pine, Yellow-rumped, Common Yellowthroat and Palm Warblers. Woodpeckers were varied today including a pair of Hairy Woodpeckers, two pair of Downy Woodpeckers, several Red-bellied Woodpeckers, a lone Pileated Woodpecker and a FOS Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. Did miss on the towhees and doves, but did  see a Crested Caracara on my way home.
As I approached the trailhead parking area I was met by Brenda Brooks, Executive Director from the Crew Marsh. She was on-site to lead a scheduled visit from students from Florida Gulf Coast University. Brenda was interested in what I had encountered on my walk, because they had several sightings of black bears and a Florida Panther recently.  Would have loved to have spotted a bear or panther, but not to close. Below is a photo of a black bear taken by a trail camera.






Link to Crew Marsh
http://www.crewtrust.org/ 
My list -(22)
Great Blue Heron, White Ibis, Wood Stork, Red-shouldered Hawk, American Kestrel, Mourning Dove, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Downy Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Pileated Woodpecker, Eastern Phoebe, Blue Jay, House Wren, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Gray Catbird, Northern Mockingbird, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Pine Warbler, Palm Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Boat-tailed Grackle A Crested Caracara was seen roadside on Corkscrew Road near the Corkscrew Water Plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment