Thursday, October 18, 2012

An American Avocet at Bunche Beach

Thursday, October 18th

Yesterday I visited Bunche Beach with Bob Pelkey. Arrived on a rising tide and found the usual - Bald Eagles, Osprey, Yellow-crowned Night-heron, Short-billed Dowichers, Spotted Sandpiper, Western Sandpipers, Least Sandpipers, an American Oystercatcher, Laughing Gulls, Royal Terns, Sandwich Terns, Willets, Ruddy Turnstones.  What I was hoping for was my first american white pelicans for the year, or an avocet (which i still need for Lee County) or the resident long-billed curlew.

Well Bob went back today and did locate an American Avocet.  He forwarded this pic. Check out his blog at http://swfloridabirder.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful shot of the avocet, Bob has a really nice Blog. I have yet to see an avocet in winter plumage, but now that I live in Florida I expect to some day. You have a really nice Blog too, btw.

    ReplyDelete