Wednesday, December 30, 2015

A Visit to Harns Marsh

Wednesday December 30th


After dropping my daughter at work, I headed out to Harns Marsh in Lehigh Acres to look for a few bird species I hadn't seen for awhile. Timing is everything, though. 

Simply, I had arrived to late in the morning. Seems the activity was settling down. Prior to my arrival American Bittern, King Rail, Purple Gallinule and Marsh Wren was recorded. I dipped on all of these plus Sora, Wilson's Snipe and Least Bittern. But I did see a very buffy Grasshopper Sparrow. It was, perhaps, one of the disappearing Florida subspecies.
A well hidden Grasshopper Sparrow


Northern Harrier
Had some nice Ring-necked Ducks, a few Mottled Ducks and Blue-winged Teal, and a pair of Hooded Mergansers. Other species seen included Savannah Sparrow, Sandhill Cranes, Snail Kites, Limpkins, Belted Kingfishers, Northern Harriers, Coopers Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, American Robin, Common Gallinule, American Coots and Pied-billed Grebes.
Glossy Ibis
Hooded Merganser

No comments:

Post a Comment